Thursday, October 3, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Purpose

(originally published in 2009)

Do you wonder what you have been put on this earth for? Do you wonder what your purpose is?

The theory of evolution has started a thought that we are here randomly. That we happened to evolve from something - generally thought of as monkeys. There is no purpose. No meaning. No reason for any of it. It just happened. Because of that beginning we are led to believe that our lives have no purpose and no meaning. We're just lucky to be here.

Poo! Every single person was created with a purpose by a Creator Who loves every part of us. The good and the bad. He knows it all and loves us just the same.

Yet we spend our whole lives looking for purpose and meaning in life. We spend countless hours doing the "wrong" purpose. You would smile if I tried to cut a steak with a spoon. A spoon was NOT designed for that. You would laugh if I tried baking a cake in the freezer. Freezers were NOT designed to bake cakes. You would freak out if I tried to brush my teeth with a toilet plunger. Totally NOT made for teeth brushing. Yet we don't bat an eye when we, and others around us, spend time, energy and money on things we weren't created to do. Trying desperately to find purpose and meaning for our lives.

So what is our purpose? What are we created to do?

I'll tell you what it is NOT.

It is NOT to be beautiful, smart, rich, popular or powerful. It is NOT to have the best house, the best car, the best clothes, the best job. It is NOT to be a perfect spouse, a perfect friend, a perfect employee, a perfect parent. It is NOT to have the best ministry, the greatest church, a successful life, or many relationships. It is NOT so many things that we strive for every day.

It IS to Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself. That's it. Simple.

Are we doing it? Unfortunately I'm not. Yes I love God. But I have a long way to go to say I love Him with everything. If that were true my life would be different. Do I love my neighbor as myself? Unfortunately no. God has shown me how to love my neighbor but I haven't done it.

Why? I think it's because I've tried to pursue other things that are not as important as loving Him and loving my neighbor. By not living in my purpose I am left tired, drained, confused, dissatisfied and always wanting more. My purpose was given to me by my Creator. He knows me best. He loves me best. And I want to live fulfilling my purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews