Monday, February 9, 2015

What Are You Watering?

Have you ever felt like you’re doing everything you know how to do, with all your might and nothing is actually getting accomplished? The Lord reminded me of a word picture He gave me a few years ago when I was feeling this way yesterday. I wanted to share it with you because I’m confident that there are ladies out there who feel like I do.

At our old house Mark and I had planted 2 sets of new trees, a small vegetable garden and a little patch of grass. It was our attempt at landscaping the “desert” we lived in. Sadly, the house we lived in had only one spigot for attaching a hose for watering. Our projects were so far away from each other that in order to water them we would’ve had to spend several hours moving hoses each evening.

The solution we found was an attachment for the spigot where we could connect 4 hoses, each going to the area that needed watering. God told me that the only way that attachment worked well was to shut down three of the hoses and water full blast out of one at a time. If all the hoses were in use at the same time, everything would be watered but none of the areas would receive the necessary water. There would only be a trickle coming from the hose. Much like my life.



If I am so busy doing good things, than it’s very difficult to do the God things that He has assigned me. If my assignments are something like my relationship with God, my husband, my children, women’s ministry and writing (a new thing He speaking to me), and I’m trying to do all at the same time…well none of them get the water and attention they need. If I’m trying to write an email and teach my children, communicate with Mark and squeeze in a quiet time you can imagine how loved everyone feels! I’m pouring out all my energy but nothing is getting done well. I am learning how to set aside specific times for each thing with as few distractions as I can; a difficult assignment to be sure, but a necessary one in order to each area to get the required attention.

If you feel like all of your faucets are running at the same time take a few moments to shut down three and speak to our Sovereign God. Ask Him what needs to shut down when, how to move through the assignments, and even ask what assignments aren’t from Him? There may be something God would like you get involved in that you’ve said “I just don’t have the time”. You may not have the time or energy because you’re spending it doing something God has not asked you to do.

Lord show us where our focus needs to be and help us to discipline ourselves to better accomplish the things you’ve set before us. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews