Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Testimony Tuesday - Being a part!


Many probably remember how Pastor Mark began 2014 with a sermon series called the “Measure of a Strong Church” where he encouraged us to read the first few chapters of Revelation and throughout the series we were to assess ourselves – as individual Christ followers and as members of the body.  I was thoroughly challenged especially since (1) I had feared reading Revelation because I was afraid, specifically of the end times, and (2) our life group had recently read through it with ambivalent results.  One of Pastor Mark’s requests from the church body was to seek God as we read through Revelation and ask God to reveal to us specific things about the River Church.  How did we (as the church) measure up?  Which of the seven churches (or a combination thereof) did we resemble?  
 
The described seven churches are Ephesus (the lacking love church), Smyrna (the persecuted church), Pergamum (the compromising church), Thyatira (the corrupt church), Sardis (the dead church), Philadelphia (the faithful church), and Laodicea (the lukewarm church). 
Reading through this opening part of Revelation again was different because I asked God to open my heart and my eyes – I wanted to please God regardless of my feelings.  I wondered if our gracious and merciful Savior knew that others would be just like me and so He provided a blessing for those who read it:  Blessed is the one who reads the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near (Rev. 1:3).  God is all-knowing!  He knew I would be afraid.  Part of my fear is the brilliant and rich figures of speech; the language amazes and startles at the same time, and honestly I didn’t position my heart to read it.  I know now that the enemy was using that fear to block me from receiving God’s blessing.
How I completely missed being in God’s glory because I did not position myself to hear Him!  For me, positioning myself involves several things: praying for God to reveal to me the inner depths of my sin, to repent of that sin, and to expect to hear God’s voice every time.  I love hearing God’s voice – from hushed whispers to thunderous booms.  He is faithful every time.  My part of the faithful equation is much harder to keep.  I did eventually write a list of comparisons between the seven churches and ours.  As I looked at the list of qualities, I asked God what to do with this finding.  At this time, the corporate fast was in progress so I just prayed about the list for a few days.  Then, I prayed for all the church leaders by name and specific area corresponding to the list.   Then, I prayed for the church body as a whole and then individually.  Then, I prayed for myself to find my part in the church body.  So I did what God wanted me to do, but I did it alone (which was never God’s intention) all year long! 
Throughout the year, my desire to know God, read God’s word, study God’s word was growing but I did it alone.  I knew I was disobeying God.  I asked for forgiveness.  I asked for grace.  And of course, God gave it all, including favor and provision.  May it be said that 2015 was a year of revival in the River Church – and needless to say I will be part of it.  So it is with great mercy that I ask all who read this to consider joining me in a new ministry.  I am calling it the Study Guide team.  Just as God revealed to that I am not the only one who was afraid to read through the book of Revelation, I am certain that I am not the only one who desires to know more of God through the weekly sermons.  I do believe that God is leading Pastor Mark to guide our church so as part of the body we need to be positioned to receive and apply God’s word.  I shared my idea with Mark and Jill and they commissioned me to move forward.  I did already speak to a couple of folks, but we definitely need more folks involved so we will have enough on the team to rotate throughout the month.  Thus, the call out for the Study Guide team. 
WHO: All those whom God calls
WHAT: A committed group of believers who will serve 1st and 2nd service to collectively write a Study Guide based on that morning’s sermon
HOW: The assigned Study Guide team will attend 1st service and take notes, and then the team will meet together during 2nd service and type out a Study Guide for life groups to use during the week
WHY: We our called to study God’s word (and apply it), to fellowship with other believers, and it makes God happy
My heart is what Pastor Mark preached recently on Isaiah 58:6-8.  By providing our church body with a guide to dig deeper into God’s and apply it to our lives, we will see the untying of “the cords of the yoke” and “light will break forth like the dawn.”  Please email with questions: arroyoarte@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews