Friday, February 13, 2015

God's Manna is Good for Today

Exodus is one of my favorite books in the Old Testament.  I love the story of Moses and His friendship with God.  I also love how God shows His people compassion over and over again.

At one point when the Israelites were wandering in the desert (because of their disobedience) they were grumbling and complaining about the food (or lack their of).  God heard their cries and faithfully sent manna for them each day, except for the Sabbath.

14 When the dew was gone, thin flakes like frost on the ground appeared on the desert floor.  15 When the Israelites saw it, they said to each other, “What is it?” For they did not know what it was.
Moses said to them, “It is the bread the Lord has given you to eat. 16 This is what the Lord has commanded: ‘Everyone is to gather as much as they need. Take an omer[a] for each person you have in your tent.’”
17 The Israelites did as they were told; some gathered much, some little. 18 And when they measured it by the omer, the one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little. Everyone had gathered just as much as they needed.

This was a lesson in trust.  If they took too much it was rotten in the morning.  

I see this as our daily bread - the Word of God - in our lives.  God asks that I eat of His manna each day.  He doesn't want me to try and "store up" extra manna to last for days on end.  He wants me to come to Him daily and get what I am hungry for.  Sometimes I need a lot, sometimes I don't need as much, but each day I gather just as much as my heart craves.  
And the funny thing is that while God's word is eternal and powerful and plenty, I need it every single day. Every day it's essential to eat His Word, read it with the Spirit's revelation, absorb it into my very soul.  He is so good and faithful to provide exactly what is necessary each and every day.  No more.  No less.  It's just right.  

He knows my need.  He knows my hunger.  He knows how to meet me there.  My lesson in trust comes daily as I go to Him, to His provision, knowing that He will provide and His manna is good for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews