Thursday, November 14, 2013

Throwback Thursday - The Bridge

(Originally published in 2010)

A short while back I had a conversation with someone I love very much. They asked me a question about my faith, specifically Jesus, that I felt like I couldn't, and didn't, answer very well at the time. We got interrupted as I was stuttering out a response and I felt like I didn't really say much. The question I was asked was why is your way right and every other religion wrong. It was a really good question. One I remember asking when I was searching for truth. It wasn't being asked in any way other than I believe they wanted a real answer. So I wanted to take a couple minutes and share with them, and with you all, about what being a Christian is like - for me - in light of other religions.

I have this vision of standing on top of a very high ledge on a mountain. I look down and it is almost impossible to see the bottom of this huge valley. I know it's there but you can't really see it. I know that if I fall, or jump, that I won't live through it. I also know that behind me, slowly, the mountain is crumbling.

Across the way is another even more beautiful mountain. A safe mountain. But it isn't reachable. I don't see anyway across this great chasm.

All around me are people. All different kinds of people. All seeing the same thing that I see. Mountain crumbling behind me. Deep valley below me. Beautiful unreachable mountain before me. However we are all approaching this scenario differently.

Some are sitting down. They aren't worried about the collapsing mountain. In fact they are saying that it isn't really happening. That is isn't a big deal. Let's just not worry about it and it won't happen.

Others are trying to make stuff to cross the valley. Some are tying ropes in hopes of throwing it across the way and climbing over. Some are cutting down trees and trying to make a bridge. Some are building flying machines in hopes that they will be carried across. All of them know that the mountain they are on won't last forever.

I have been searching around trying to figure out the best strategy across the way when someone comes to me and says 'follow me I know the way'. I listen and they lead me to a bridge. A solid, sturdy, narrow bridge that starts just feet before me and goes clear across the valley to the other mountain....safely. There are people already on it. Thousands of people. The bridge is so strong it's holding everyone! I'm amazed that I haven't seen it before. I'm amazed that all of these people haven't seen it before. It's been there the whole time but I wasn't able to see until I listened. Then I saw because I had faith. It's like the bridge in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (yes I am married to Mark...). Do you know which one I'm talking about? The one he doesn't actually see until he steps on it?! This is what I had been searching for. The Way. Now, what do I do with this information.
What would you do if you found this bridge? Would you tell someone? Would you cross it quietly and hope no one sees you or makes fun of you? What would you think about all those people around you who are looking for what you've found?

Are all those other people wrong? I guess the answer is yes. But I don't look at them and say 'too bad for you...I found the bridge that will lead me safely away and I'm right and you're wrong and you'll never make it'. No. I look at them and think, 'I know that that rope will never be long enough, the ladder will never be strong enough, the flying machine will never last long enough to get you safely to the other side. But I have found the way. Come with me and I will show you. Please. Listen and see that there is a way. One way. It's here and it's for everyone who wants to come.'

There are some people who look at me and laugh. They don't see the bridge so they think I'm making it up. They say it's a myth. A good idea. A crutch to lean on when things are hard.

Some people know that the bridge is there, they've seen it themselves, but they refuse to cross it because they think other ways will work just as well.

Still others will cross it and not tell a single soul that it's there. They say, 'I guess they'll have to figure it out on their own. Hopefully they'll make the right choice....'

Others are screaming at everyone telling them that if they don't cross the bridge then they're stupid, foolish, morons.

And then there are those who are quietly showing people the bridge. Leading them to the bridge. Just like someone did for me.

I look at my life now, with Christ, and I know The Way. My faith - everything about it - would be meaningless if I didn't actually care to tell others about it. If I know there is only One Way across that great divide then I have no choice but to tell people, regardless of what they think. I, in no way, have to drag them across the bridge, ridicule them for not believing there is a bridge, hate them for trying something else, or ignore them. But can you see someone listening to me if I said something like 'I'm pretty sure this is right. I mean I don't like saying you can't try the rope or the ladder, it might actually work for you...but for me the bridge works best." How many people will I have lined up?
Instead I must lead them, lovingly like someone did for me, to the bridge. And show them that it's there, it's for them, it's for everyone - even people who have ropes and ladders and flying machines. Those people aren't stupid. They just don't know. No one has shown them the One True Bridge.
They may have seen ones that look like it but they will fall apart. Guaranteed.

I am 100% confident that I have found the way. And I desperately want you to know about it so you can come to the beautiful mountain with me.

God - Jesus - The Bridge - is here for everyone.

This is how much God loved the world; He gave his Son, His one and only Son. And this is why; so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in Him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. God didn't go to all the trouble of sending his Son merely to point an accusing finger, telling the world how bad it was. He came to help, to put the world right again. {John 3:16&17 the Message}


I love you!

1 comment:

Total Pageviews