Thursday, January 9, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Unlearning in order to Learn

Originally published April 2011
------------------------------
Makes sense doesn't it?

Well it's starting to make more and more sense to me. I recently read in a book that half of spiritual growth is learning things you didn't know and the other half is unlearning things you do.

So. True.

I'm now reading a book - a total kick-you-in-the-pants-splash-cold-holy-water-on-your-face-gospel-truth-speaking book called Radical by David Platt. I won't go into all that it entails because there's entirely too much and it's a book you just have to read in order to get it, but let me tell you that it's reminding me, as well as opening my eyes, to just how different God's plans are from the worlds.

I realize, once again, that God is opposite of the world. That's not to say that everything in this world is bad, but it is to say that many things I do and believe to be true, while I think they are of God, actually are not. What?! I know! Here I am thinking I know most of what I need to know about God and how to live my life for Him but in reality I know a lot about what I've learned from others but not enough about what HE wants me to know. Make sense?

Here are some differences....

God says bless your enemies. The world? Yeah not so much.
God says surrender to me. The world says, work hard and you will succeed.
God says sex is for marriage only. The world says try before you buy - it won't matter.
God says there is only one way. The world says everything works.
God says there is right and wrong. The world says do what feels right.
God says give what you have away. The world says make sure you have enough and there's always more that you "need".
God says I'm not here to make your life comfortable. The world says comfort is our right.
Gods says I have come to and for you. The world says strive and you might make it to a "higher place".

And that's just a few!

I've learned a lot in my almost 35 years. Some things are truth and some things are lies. Truth and lies about Who God is and truth and lies about how to serve Him. I've finally asked myself a very important question...do I live my life according to scripture or according to what I've seen "good" Christians do and say?

Unfortunately all too often I've made decisions based on the latter rather than the former. I've made decisions based on experiences, books, teachings (non of which are all bad) rather than God's word.

Puts a whole new meaning for me on scripture being my Bread of Life, Water to Drink, the Sword of the Spirit....Am I hungry for what He says or what I'm comfortable with?

I have a long ways to go. Lots of things to unlearn. I am so thankful, though, to my parents for the way they raised me. Because of their unconditional love there are many things I do not have to unlearn. There are true things I have always known. Things like love, acceptance, forgiveness, grace, commitment, devotion, giving, family, respect, responsibility, safety...I'm so grateful for that.

I see a new journey. A journey about discovering God. Discovering what it really means to surrender to Him, to His plans, to His love. Unlearning what I think it's supposed to look like and learning what it really looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews