Thursday, January 16, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Loving Who?

----originally published May 2011----
Several weeks ago I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine who said that she was being very challenged in her life at that exact moment to love people who weren't nice to her. As she shared some of the really crummy stuff people had done to her and her family she talked about showing these same people unconditional love and that it was a difficult place. She wants to follow God's command to love your enemies but it doesn't mean it's an easy thing to do, especially when they're really mean to you! It challenged me to hear her heart. I reflected on my own life.

I had thought that I did okay loving my enemies...until I really figured out who my enemies were. When I think of the word enemy I think of someone I absolutely hate. And frankly I don't absolutely hate anyone (that I know of). But then I realized my "enemies" aren't horrible, terrible people who've done unthinkable things to me or people in other countries that I've never met. My enemies were people who hadn't been nice to me. Who hadn't treated me fairly (I thought). Those people were people who I was
not showing love to. I realized that if someone asked me to cook them a meal, or give them money, or go out of my way to help them out, I probably wouldn't do it. In fact, I'd probably avoid helping them at all costs. Really? Is that what Christ has taught me to do? Wow. Yuck in my heart.

Luke 6:35-36 says "But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."


Jill - do not withhold Christ's love from people just because they aren't people whom you think deserve it. You don't deserve what you've been given. No one does. That is called mercy. Not getting what you deserve. Overcome evil (or perceived evil) with good. Love your enemies! Do good to them. Pray for them.
Christ did that for me...how can I do less?

I am compelled to show Christ's love to ALL people (even those who I don't think deserve it) because that is what He did for me. It isn't an easy thing. I guess if it was then everyone would do it! But I'm determined to learn this and love people. It's gonna be a long process though... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews