Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Testimony Tuesday - Hearing His Voice

This past Sunday was my (Jill) last day of fasting.  As I mentioned earlier, I will be out of town this upcoming weekend and I needed to be able to be done before I go.  

Like many of those joining us on this fast, I'd been counting down the days till I got to chew food!  But as Sunday approached, I was truly sad to see it over. These past three weeks had been amazing! 

Worship, prayer, hearing the voice of God...all different and amazing when you are fasting.  At least in my experience.  There's something unique and beautiful to be in a sweet spot even in the midst of battling your flesh.  Can you relate? 

Back to Sunday.  I'd been praying and asking The Lord for a strong ending to this precious time.  I didn't want to fizzle out.  I wanted to squeeze out every last drop of opportunity God was giving me to experience Him during this fast. Not always easy to do for sure! 

Sunday after church I headed back to City Market for the umpteenth time (boy is it easy to run out of produce while juicing!). On my way into the store I noticed a man sitting on the pavement outside. A woman was giving him money out of her wallet.  I thought "how kind and thoughtful!" and went in to do my shopping.  

On my way out I saw that the young man was still there. His appearance was unkept.  I have no clue if he was homeless or not but he didn't seem like he had any place to go.  He had no cardboard sign asking for anything. He just seemed like a lonely man who'd been the recipient of tough times in life. 

As I passed by I felt The Lord saying "ask him if he is hungry". I really wish I could tell you that I immediately did what I heard, but no.  I passed by and reasoned with my head that he was fine. It would probably be insulting to ask...I don't have any cash in my wallet...etc etc.  

The Lord said "you have apples"

Yes God but those are for my fast!  I'm almost done and Mark will need them and...and...

God was silent.  But I heard scripture loudly.  Do to the least of these....entertain angels....God looks at the heart not the outward appearance. Faith takes courage (something I had JUST spoken to a woman at church). 

I loaded up my groceries and sat in the car.  Running.  Arguing.  Trying to convince myself I hadn't heard correctly.  

Finally I had the thought that if I ignore the prompting of the Holy Spirit (as I have done in the past) His still small voice would get quieter.  But if I respond, His voice will grow louder.  My fear then switched from what this man might think about me to what if I ignore this and God's voice grows quiet.  That motivated me! 

I hopped out of the car and, with God's courage, approached this man.  I smiled at him and said "Pardon me sir.  Are you hungry?" 

He was eating a Snickers bar and kind of shrugged and said "yeah".  I told him I didn't have cash but I had some food.  Would he like apples or oranges?

He said, I like apples. 

I'll be right back I told him. 

I went to my car and emptied one of the baggies of fruit and loaded it up with several apples. When I came back he said "that's too many!"  

No worries I told him.  Save them for later.  God bless you.  

I returned to my car and a feeling overwhelmed me.  I can only explain it as the Holy Spirit.  He was smiling.  

And I cried. 

I cried because God gave me another chance to hear and obey even though I've blown it before.  I cried because I so want to hear and obey instantly and not have the argument in my head that I'd just had.  I cried because God wanted to answer my prayer to finish strong and close to His side.  

As I drove home in silence I thanked God for His kindness and mercy to me.  

I have no idea if that young man needed food, or what he thought of my actions, or if those apples will change his life.  
But I will tell you that because of the work God did in my heart, those apples changed mine. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm crying too. I can TOTALLY relate to this Jill. Thank you for sharing. There are so many times HS has told me to do something and I reason it out... especially at City Market. So many lonely, people, so many people who need Jesus. Good job acting out of courage and being motivated by more of what God has for you. Love you friend... Jen

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews