Thursday, January 23, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Decluttering

I was listening to the radio the other day and they mentioned that the perfect time to declutter our homes is when we move from one house to another. It got me thinking about my life (yeah I do that a lot...).

Whenever I've switched ministries or expanded my ministry (I've done it 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 times now and I include things like having children - they are a ministry for sure!) I have felt like stuff in my heart/life has to be decluttered. I'm moving into a new season and there just isn't room for everything to go with me. So God begins to declutter me.
He brings me my pride and tells me to get rid of it. He shows me my insecurity and tells me to burn it. He reveals to me my selfishness and tells me I don't need it. He helps me go through all my stuff and get rid of the junk I don't need (and frankly have never needed but continue to hold on to). Sometimes it's a painful process. Even though I don't like all my junk, it brings me comfort. It isn't easy to walk away from it. But I picture God like the guy on the old TLC show Clean Sweep. The guy who shows you how much you don't need what you're holding onto. The guy who helps you put it down and walk away. The guy who does a big reveal at the end in your new room/house and shows you that it's so much nicer without all the junk!

Not only does He help me get rid of the junk, He helps me pack up the stuff I do need. The stuff He's been teaching me over and over again. Wisdom. Grace. Love. Truth. Patience. Mercy. Forgiveness. Justice. Submission. Listening. Learning. He helps me put them into boxes to be moved and brought into my next season in life. There's room for that.


Just not the crap.
With each new season I can see that God is here with His boxes and packing tape.

Ready to declutter.
sig 2.0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews