Thursday, April 3, 2014

Throwback Thursday - My quest for freedom

This was from last March -----

Three weeks ago I went on a retreat-type trip called HeartQuest.  It was here that I was unplugged and had no distractions and got to hear [clearly] God whispering to my thirsty heart.  He changed me.  And subsequently changed my life.  It wasn't just a quick revelation and move on.  It was a deeper revelation and understanding and healing.  Something I have felt so powerless in the past to do.  I had no frame of reference for what I desired in my heart.  I needed more of Him.  I got it.  He was/is faithful.  And gentle.  And kind.  And loving.  He ministered to my hurts and my fears and did so with love, with laughter, with peace.  I am forever changed.

Before I left I had been praying and looking for my rain to come.  In the OT Elijah had prayed (as God had told him to) for the rain to stop.  It did.  For 3 years.  But then Elijah prayed for the rain to come again.  He knelt on a mountain top and prayed fervently for God to send the rains again and drench the earth.  He looked up and didn't see the cloud.  So he prayed again.  Looked again - no cloud.  Prayed again.  This happened 7 times.  Then a cloud the size of a man's fist was visible in the sky.  Immediately Elijah jumped up to warn of the coming rain (remember it hadn't rained in 3 years).  He was so confident that God was coming he didn't wait for the rain - he saw the cloud and knew!  I had been praying and believing for my cloud and it came.  And He poured out into me!  Like a fire hose!  I'm still dripping wet!

So, the reason for my burning desire to blog...today I read James 1.  I studied this same book before my HQ in a Beth Moore Bible study back in February and it was wonderful.  But now I have new eyes.  I couldn't wait to see what Holy Spirit would show me with my new eyes and my clear and free heart.

It didn't take long.  I stopped and was brought back to verse 2 (told you I didn't get far).  I even laughed and questioned why I would stop there.  But I trusted and explored.  The words "consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds" kept standing out to me.  I believe God wanted to show me, anew, what this means for me now and how He has changed my perspective. 

Here's a bit of what I wrote down.  Trials are what help refine my faith.  They reveal to me what God wants to heal in me.  What fears or wounds need His presence.  For example, a week after I got back from my trip I battled in my mind something very powerful.  I have felt invisible. Like no one really sees what I do at home, with our house, with our kids, behind the scenes.  I hear complaints (mostly from my kids of course).  I wondered if it really mattered.  If what I was doing at home - laundry, dishes, cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, homeschooling etc...- was actually making a difference.  It's mundane.  Boring at times.  Feels unimportant. 

On this day in particular I faced some events that just confirmed (in my mind) what I was feeling.  Immediately I knew it was a lie and was reminded that I was different.  But I didn't know how to battle it.  And battle I did.  In my head!  It was overwhelming emotionally.  I asked God to show me why I felt this way and how to fight it off.  He spoke so gently to me and said 'you want to know that all you do matters. That you matter. You want to hear a good job every once in a while.  The problem is that you expect your kids and your husband to do that.  They can't be that for you.  I can.  I see.  I know.  I care and it matters to me.  Let that be your recognition and praise.'

I stopped almost instantly and began meditating on the fact that He sees.  He knows.  He cares.  It matters to Him.  And I was changed. He revealed Himself to me as El Roi - the God Who Sees.  He met me in my battle - because I invited Him in - and He revealed Himself to me.  And I considered it pure joy!!

I got it!  The joy of the trial is in knowing Him more intimately.  More beautifully than before.  The joy is being set free!  Healed from wounds!  And my friends, I have experienced a joy unspeakable.  He came in to my heart, cleaned house, and I never want to go back to that messy place again.  I want to clean up the messes as they come and continue to experience His great joy even in the midst of sorrow and struggle.

Romans 5:3-4 says (and I paraphrase) that the trials and suffering eventually produce hope.  And hope doesn't disappoint because God poured out His love into us by His Holy Spirit - His gift to us.  Hope and Holy Spirit are precious gifts and the Bible says that trials produce more of that so then, I will consider it joy!

Then in 1 Peter 5:3-4 it says that these trials have come so my faith - which is worth far more that gold! - may be genuine and bring God glory.  Bring. God. Glory.  My heart's desire.  I consider it joy!  Even as I type these words I'm overwhelmed with the joy in my heart.

He's used my trials to reveal to me my hurts and wounds and His character and nature.  I've been studying the names of God (ever since El Roi) so I could know and proclaim Who He is more and more.  He's shown me He's Almighty God, All-Sufficient One, Lord, God Most High, the Great I AM.  I'm blown away time and again as I see the hugeness of my God!  I can trust Him.  I can follow Him.  I can depend on Him.  Nothing gets by Him.  I'm not even kidding when I say it's a level of freedom that I have not experienced before in my life.  Everything within me says don't lose it!

And this isn't the end of my story.  Only the beginning.  I pray that in whatever trials you are going through that you invite into them the Almighty God who wants to show you His love, His protection, His goodness and kindness, His faithfulness, His provision, His healing....

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews