Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Testimony Tuesday -- Praying Parent!

From Sarah Dombrowski:
 
One of the gifts that God has given me (but I haven't utilized and explored nearly enough) is prayer.  While I was pregnant with my almost two year old, Joshua, I read "Praying Through Your Pregnancy", which uses a lot of scripture in it's prayers.  I have seen every prayer I prayed over him during that time come to fruition.  

One of those prayers was that he would have a hunger for scripture.  When Joshua was born, I asked God for a scripture to pray over his life. He gave me 1 Samuel 16:18.  It lists six attributes of David that I wanted Josh to have.  I prayed that for the first year of his life, keeping it on our bathroom mirror as a reminder.  

Around his first birthday, I asked God what the next step was.  He told me to pull the scripture apart, and define those attributes by other scriptures.  I took those twelve scriptures and wrote them on post it notes, and placed them on the wall above Josh's changing table.  Every time I changed him, I would read a few to him. 

A few months into reading them, he would point to himself as I read; "mighty man of valor", "skillful in playing", "the Lord is with him".  What a cool thing to see Josh do, already claiming those words over his life!  I wish I did that so easily!  Now he is INSISTENT that the scriptures must be read every time he is changed.  He points at the wall and babbles forcefully, urging us to read them to him.  His hunger for scripture is already there!  

I share this, not as a pat on my back, but to say that prayer, especially praying the scriptures, will work in your life too!  Ask God to reveal a verse, or maybe a chapter to you, something special He wants to share with you for this time in your life.  Ask for one for your kids, your husband, your parents, your friends, your coworkers.  I guarantee that as you pray over them, change will come, you will see breakthrough in their lives, and you are memorizing scripture without even trying.  I know God has something neat He wants to give each one of us, if we take the time to dig into His word!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews