Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Testimony Tuesday -- Casting Down Idols


From Esther Belin:
 
I have lived in the Durango community for 17 years and it is now my home. However calling this area my home has taken about 8 years.  I moved to this area from Santa Fe with my husband and two young children.  It wasn’t until a couple of weeks that I realized that I moved here with many selfish desires and expectations.  I came with my own agenda, my own plan to true fulfillment. Part of that plan included living the Durango dream – owning a half-million dollar home, being the perfect public school volunteer, securing a leisure, well-paying job.  I know now that I started building this high place of pride/expectation/comfort/covetousness ever since I was a little girl.  Durango just happened to be the place that everything came together – I was married with children – so the next step (in my mind) was to cash in the idol I had been so faithfully building and worshiping.  

Needless to say, I carried this high place to each home we lived in – placing it in a prominent area – careful not to damage it with each move.  We are now in our 5th location.  With God’s grace, we were able to buy a home 3 years ago.  When we bought this home and land, I dedicated it to the Lord – continually asking Him to use it for His glory.  Since then, I have been tested.  We’ve had problems with our well the first two years, then last spring I lost my job.  The enemy was feeding me lies that God gave us the wrong house, the wrong location, wrong everything.  I realize now that I have been prolonging God’s blessing by my disobedience.  About 2 weeks ago while baking, I ended up shattering a baking dish that symbolically represented my high places.  That baking dish was quality glass and ornately crafted – representing all the luxury and comfort I believed I deserved, and when it shattered, there was such an amazing grief that overcame me.  Such an immediate emotional drain hovered over me that I verbally told God to tell me what this shattering meant.  

At the time, I had been studying about the Israelites and their 40 years in the wilderness.  And I knew instantly that God allowed that treasured dish (my high places) to shatter so completely that there was no way I could rebuild – and there was no way that I would longingly gaze at my Promised Land for 38 years!  God was telling me loud and clear that He is waiting for me to live the abundant life HE has planned for me. God was telling me that this journey through the wilderness is to test my faith, that He will provide, that He will protect (defend), that HE wants me to follow him, that He is waiting for me to live in belief of HIS promises.  

That day I grieved.  I grieved that I wasted so much time/energy on building my high places.  I grieved that I displeased God, that so much of my life here in Durango was built around this idol.  That day I committed to grieve in God’s presence – to be near His holy mountain – to rest in His salvation – to finally be in the comfort of HIS refuge.

Deuteronomy 12:2
You shall utterly destroy all the places where the nations whom you shall dispossess serve their gods, on the high mountains and on the hills and under every green tree.





4 comments:

  1. Oh sweet friend, I can feel the grief, but I can also see the hope! God will not ask you to shatter an idol without bringing you a purpose that far exceeds any idol. His plans for you are far and above anything you could have ever imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esther, oh I love your sweet name. Thank you for sharing your heart. I am going to miss you, very much. I am experiencing some of the same feelings as I make this move to WI.
    God is so awesome, allowing us to experience the pain, and then the realization, and finally the joy of freedom. Jill and Shelly recommended a book to me called Seven 7. I just got it
    From the library, that has to do with this very same issue. When I return it, you should
    Check it out, if you like. For me, this is a process, that I am walking moment by moment. God is so good. I love you and will miss your warm smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther, THANK YOU for sharing this. You are a beautiful daughter... I am so excited to see the "more" God is wanting to do in your life, now that you have surrendered it to him. It's the best adventure yet. Love you! hugs. jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your testimony! So eloquently stated and with such power!

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews