Thursday, March 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Just Listen

 Never underestimate the power of listening.

I've not been known in my life as a good listener.  No one has actually come out and told me this...I just know.  I'm usually thinking about the next thing I'm going to say instead of truly listening to what is being spoken.  Or else I'm just talking and talking.  I'm a good talker :)

But God.  He has been reminding me over and over about the power of listening.  A couple years ago I felt like I needed to hear more Truth about this very thing.  I looked up scripture and found a few that have sat in my bathroom and I've read over and over again, daily.  I believe the Truths are starting to sink in.

Several of the scriptures relate to me listening to God.

John 1:27 - My sheep listen to my voice...

James 1:22 - Do not merely listen to to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says.

Others remind me that wisdom comes from listening.

Pr 1:5 - let the wise listen and add to their learning...

Pr 12:15 - The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice.

Pr 19:27 - Stop listening to instruction, my son, and you will stray from the words of knowledge.

To listen means to humble ourselves. 
To listen means that we want to learn and grow and change.  
To listen means we desire knowledge and wisdom.

And when it comes to listening to people...

James 1:19 - Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

Listening to others brings value to them.  It shows that you care.  That you value what they are sharing.  That you aren't just thinking of yourself. 
 To listen is to build relationship and trust.

I've thought about how listening affects my relationship with Mark.  He's a great listener.  I love talking with him because I feel respected and valued and loved.  I want him to feel the same.  To know that I care about what he says.  Even if I disagree.

Listening to my children does the same.  To have them know that it matters to me that they are sad or mad or scared or hurt or confused or frustrated.  Instead of just fixing the problem I need to be proactive in listening.

I will do the same for friends.  At least that is my prayer.  That they know that I care, that it matters, that they matter.  I have had conversations where I feel like a person hasn't heard a stinkin word I've sad.  Truly it just made me not want to share again.  They have been more concerned about what they want to say then listening to me.  I don't like the feeling.  I don't want others to feel like that around me.

People are important to me.  Relationships are important to me.  
I want to
Just Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews