Thursday, March 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday - Believes All Things


 I was reading through 1 Corinthians the other day and the middle of chapter 13 stood out.

"[love] bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" 1 Cor. 13 7 NASB

Love believes all things?  What does that mean?

As Jesus is my perfect example I look to Him to show me what it means to believe all things.  To hope all things...I was reminded of His betrayal.

Jesus knew that Judas was the one who was going to betray Him with 30 pieces of silver and yet Jesus trusted him with the money.  Whoa!  Jesus believed the best of Judas even though he knew what he was going to do.  Jesus believed all things.  He hoped.  I'm pretty sure I would've said 'Hey Peter you handle the money.  I know I can trust you with it.'  Judas?  Not so much.

Jesus trusts us with His name.  Christ-followers.  Boy have we blown that.  Yet He still believes in us, hopes for us, endures for us....He doesn't take away His name.  He doesn't go back on His promises to us.  Amazing!

Can I do that?  Do I do that?  Do I look for the best in people even when the worst is what screams the loudest?  Believing the best is hard.  Especially when we've been hurt or betrayed.  But that is perfect love isn't it?  To not look for trouble but to look for the best?  To not be fearful of what people can, and may very well, do to us but to believe in them.  To love them.  To reach out to others no matter what.  Even if it means getting hurt.  Love endures all things....

I'm not saying that this requires us to blindly trust everyone and give out our social security number to anyone who asks :)  But I'm challenged to believe in people.  Believe in what they can be through the transforming love of Christ.  What a different way of looking at love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews