Thursday, February 13, 2014

Throwback Thursday -- A Fine Line

---Originally posted 2011---
 
There is a fine line between passion and judgement. Sadly many of us, myself very much included, cross it. A lot. God gives us a passion for something. I believe He gives it to us so we can continue on! And do it well. And do it to bring Him glory.

We can have a passion for families, children, homeschooling, breastfeeding, a certain way to give birth, healthy eating, a specific ministry, a cause, a simple lifestyle, the Bible, prayer, disciplining, evangelism, reading, writing, singing etc... (just to name a few different ones, but there are infinite passions!) We have that God-given passion to be motivated, to be more aware, to defend, to pursue...Unfortunately for many of us, we get this passion and look around {in other words, take our eyes off the Passion-Giver!} and we wonder why everyone else doesn't have it.

When I was doing youth ministry it boggled my mind why people wouldn't totally jump on board and support the youth. In Children's ministry I couldn't understand why people wouldn't serve and love on our future! In women's ministry I didn't get why more women didn't get involved. In each season of ministry God gave me His eyes, His heart and His passion for who I was ministering to.
He gives me the same passion for my children and for homeschooling them and for being a good wife and mom.

I realize, however, that I can take that passion and look at others and wonder why they don't feel the same. I wonder what's wrong with them- have they not heard God clearly tell them something!? (oh my gosh how prideful of me....) - and pass judgement.
I know that God does NOT want us to move from passion to judgement. He, and He alone, works in the hearts of His people. No one told me to be love youth. God did. No one made me love kids. God did. No one forced me to do women's ministry. God moved on my heart to do it. I was drawn and moved by others' passion but it wasn't because they told me to be passionate about it. Does that make sense?

He
is the one with the passion and we are the ones who are responsible to steward it according to His will.
His passion keeps us going when it's tough. His passion gives us a goal and a direction when we feel lost. His passion tells us we haven't failed, don't give up. His passion fuels us to love, to encourage, to teach, to do something. His passion is used to build up His Kingdom, not tear it down.

Be a good steward with the passion God gives you and He WILL expand it, grow it and encourage it. And He will be glorified in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews