Thursday, December 12, 2013

Throwback Thursday - Simply Christmas

(originally published in 2011)

I recently read an article that said that even religious people aren't going to church on Christmas or including any religious celebration during the Christmas season. That they are just too busy with parties, dinners, shopping etc...It made me really sad.

Really sad that Jesus is being pushed out of His own birthday party. I can't imagine putting together a party with all the decorations, sending out the invitations, making tons of food, decorating a cake, buying and wrapping gifts and spending weeks in anticipation of the blessed event only to not invite the celebrant. Doesn't that seem odd? I'm pretty sure my children would have none of that (I'm just imagining Kale preparing for his birthday party only to find out he's not invited).
Yet that's what happens at Christmas. We can get so distracted with the party that we forget about the Guest of Honor. Jesus. I am guilty of this many times throughout the Christmas season. I get so into all of the fluff that I have to literally stop and think again of my reasons. Could I "do" Christmas without all of the fluff? I sure hope so. The fluff is traditions, memories, fellowship and fun. There's nothing wrong with that. But my hope is that even without the extra stuff...Christmas is still Christmas to me.

At the very heart of Christmas is simply a baby in a manger.
Born to bring us peace and joy and hope and love.
Born to live a sinless life.

Born to teach us how to love God and love others.

Born to heal the broken, the sick, the blind.

Born to give us a new life.

Born to die on a cross and then 3 days later rise from the grave to conquer death.
Born to reconcile God and man.
Born to show us amazing, endless, unconditional love.


If I miss that....I miss Christmas.
I pray that your Christmas is filled with family, friends, joy, laughter and lots of love. But I pray more than anything that your Christmas is centered around, and filled with, the love of Christ.

Simply Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews