Saturday, December 7, 2013

Consider Why This Christmas

Christmas has gotten complicated.  Actually Christmas isn't complicated, our celebration of it is.  Christmastime is my favorite.  I love the music, the food, the parties, the decorations, the presents, the pageants, the beautiful services...I love the celebration of Christmas.  But have I complicated it a bit?

As I've been pondering our traditions and our commitments this year, God has challenged me with the Why.  I think to make sure that I know why I am doing what I am doing and to keep my focus on His priorities.   He's not upset that we decorate or bake or listen to music or party or even have Santa come to our house.  But He has gently reminded me of His priorities.

The greatest commandment - His greatest priority - is to Love Him and the next priority is to Love Others.  That's it. 

So the question becomes, am I making His priorities my priorities as I'm baking, decorating, singing songs, going to parties and having Santa come to my house?  Do my kids know what God's priorities are?  Am I forgetting Him in my "doing" of Christmas?  I will continue to ask Him throughout this month and throughout this year because His priorities don't change with the seasons and with the holidays.  They are always the same.

Love Him.  Love others.

I will love Him and teach my kids about the miracle of His birth.  About prophecies fulfilled.  Of lives saved.  Of the hope, love, joy and peace He brings.

I will love the check out clerk at the store as I buy gifts for my loved ones.  I will bless people in need.  I will look outside of my self and my traditions to see people around me.  I will smile at folks hurrying around to get their lists done.  I will love on children who come to church for the first time on Christmas Eve and bless their parents with a little break to hear the message and hope of Christ.  I will do my best not to focus on MY plans but HIS.

And I will do my very best to teach this to my children, even as I learn it myself.

I pray that you, too, can experience the joy of Christmas as you keep His priorities YOUR priorities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews