Monday, April 27, 2015

In the Open

By Kim Beach
 
It’s time to make a confession.

I pray in the Spirit. I speak in tongues. I have a Heavenly Prayer Language. I received the gift when I was about 10 years old and my prayer language vocabulary continues to grow. It’s real. It’s amazing and I’m so thankful God has given me this gift!

There -- I said it. It's in the open!

                             

I'm not bragging. God warns us not to boast of our gifts - in fact we are commanded to remain humble (James 4:6, Matthew 23:12) and to find our glory in His cross. 

However, neither am I willing to keep my gift a secret. Humility is not defined as hiding our Gifts or talents nor is it belittling their importance or being ashamed of them.  We must guard against false humility while we seek His best gifts for the work God has prepared for each of us (1 Corinthians 12:31).

In recent years, I've leaned to the quieter side of the Holy-Spirit-and-tongues debate so that I don't offend any believers, cause dissension or division. The gift of tongues, or the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in another language, is only one facet of the personhood of the Holy Spirit's character!  He is our counselor, comforter, instructor, guide and an ambassador of Heaven given to us by the Father to be with us until God returns again.  

And through the Holy Spirit, the Father gives the gift of speaking in tongues. 

All of God’s gifts are important - why would He bother otherwise? Each gift is essential to the Body of Christ - God does everything with meaning.  


                                  


Do not neglect the gift that is in you,”
1 Timothy 4:14

Neglect  is an action verb with heavy meaning - 
      1. “to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight:  
      2.  to be remiss in the care or treatment of:  
      3.  to omit, through indifference or carelessness:
      4.  to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.):  
      5.  to fail to take or use,” (dictionary.reference.com).

The challenge is to live in, use, and stir-up the gifts in you and not compare them to the gifts of others!

                                 


Our Creator loves variety! From majestic mountains to the vast Sahara; desolate horizons to lush forests; jungle rivers to springs in the desert - our Creator loves to show His creativity! The same is true with the gifts He gives - abundantly, creatively, expressively - to all who ask Him. 

Ask our Father God - what are the Gifts you have given me that I am neglecting? What gift am I ashamed to admit that I have? What gift am I afraid to use?   

And when He answers you - and He will - use that beautiful, creative gift to give the God of all Creation the Glory!


Romans 12: 3 - 8 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews