Friday, January 23, 2015

What do we do?

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the state of our country, our world.  So much violence, hate, prejudice, discrimination, social media bullying... It's enough to feel hopeless and powerless. I really hate that feeling.  What can I do about it?  How do I bring hope in a world without?  How do I bring light into darkness?  Do I believe what some Christians do and think that it's okay to just sit back and let the world do it's thing because the worse it gets, the sooner Jesus will come back?  Really?  That's the answer?
Oh Lord help us.

And He does.  He reminded me of homeschool.  The curriculum that I use takes us through all of history starting with creation.  Last year it was creation to the Greeks and this year we're going from Rome to the Reformation.  It's been amazing!  And very eye-opening! 

Not one time in the history of our world have things been easy or peaceful.  We have a world history of violence, greed, war, selfishness, hate, discrimination and bullying. Every country has been fought over and killed for.  
You're probably thinking, wow Jill, this is awesome.  Thanks for the uplifting message.  

Hang with me here.  In addition to reading about all this violent history we've been studying the history of the church.  We read through the Old Testament and New, and have read books about the earliest church after Christ.  And it's blown me away that time and time again, in the midst of war, in the midst of uncertainty, in the midst of great trial and struggle, the church has come blazing through.  The message of hope, the message of Christ, has always been relevant no matter what the circumstances.  The people of Christ's church have fought bravely to protect that message, often giving up their lives for it.

We often hear about the things that the church has done wrong and I will admit to being put off by that when I first became a Christian.  I've also come to see that of course we're gonna mess it up.  We're human and we still wrestle with selfishness and greed.  But for every story of the things we've done wrong there are countless others that would blow you away!  Stories of love, freedom, passion, selflessness, overcoming, forgiveness and grace. 

People like Amy Carmichael, Brother Andrew, George Mueller, the Pilgrims, Nate Saint, Adoniram Judson, St. Patrick to name just a few ... people who gave up everything to follow the call of Christ.

So what do we do with the state of our world?  Give up?  Wait for Jesus to come back?  Or do we follow the heroes of the faith and answer the call from God?

I don’t want to be sitting on the sidelines waiting for the final whistle.  I want to be out there, loving people, bringing light and hope.  Investing in lives that matter to God.  Answering His call no matter that the world may say I’m crazy. 

I am. 

I’m crazy for Jesus and what He’s done for me.  I’m crazy for knowing more about our Savior, the one Who called me into His glorious presence.  I’m crazy to experience His Kingdom here on earth and to bring that Kingdom to others. 

Will you join me?

3 comments:

  1. I will join you Jill Cooper Palmer! You are so right on. Ahhhhh! I love this! The church will blaze through! We are relevant. We will not stop! We bring hope, we see miracles, we bring light all for His glory and honor. We won't back down. You are such an awesome friend, leader and woman. Thanks for this encouragement! BRING IT GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really are a champion my friend! So glad you're on this journey with me!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews